A new form of colonialism or imperialism?

it seems that the french president macron is as delusional as his predecsssors and some people in france as well they seem to be living in a pre world war 2 bubble
tell me what you intelligent lingqers think

“…tell me what you intelligent lingqers think…”

Hmm, so you only want comments from intelligent LingQers?

That’s a pity, I would have liked to give my opinion too! :smiley:

But, yeah, he’s probably delusional if he thinks French is going to become a “big-daddy” language. (Does he honestly think this, I wonder?)

It’s actually a shame, because I would like to live in a world with more linguistic diversity and equality. I wish it were feasible for French to gain in importance.

But the reality is, in 50 or 100 years time from now almost nobody is going to be motivated to learn any language other than English, Spanish, Mandarin and (to a slightly lesser extent) Russian, Japanese and Portuguese. That’s just the way it is, unfortunately.

English will always be the lingua franca from now on. Until oil runs out. Then people will go back to living locally. The ones who don’t die.

It’s not about being delusional, it’s more like shooting for the stars. I don’t think he believes that French will overtake English in the foreseeable future. But it can gain significant grounds in the African continent, and as the French president, there’s nothing wrong with promoting the language. Sharing a language is one of the most important factors determining the country’s influence. Today I read an article on Huffpost about his usage of English while speaking French. Though I absolutely hate it, I don’t think it is really detrimental to French as long as he turns his rhetoric into concrete efforts regarding promoting French…

Why do you think people will want more to learn Russian than French 50 years from now? The number of L2 speakers in French is already bigger than that of English, same is true for economic activity (in terms of GDP). These figures and also the native speakers in French will only increase more and more -more significantly than Russian- when you take Africa into account 50 or 100 years from now.

“The number of L2 speakers in French is already bigger than that of English”

I couldn’t edit my post, I meant Russian.

“…Why do you think people will want more to learn Russian than French 50 years from now?..”

I think there could be a new Cold War.

People always need to know the language of the other side, so to speak.

(But, you know, I could be wrong. I’m not against French - that’s not where I’m coming from at all!)

Well it’s more insulting for French taxpayers who will likely end up paying for Macron’s desire to promote French in Africa (through the Instituts Français), which is not something that French people need or want. Africans aren’t really penalized by this, all they will get out of it are optional French courses…

Unless France forces African countries to legislate against other languages than French, I do not see how this is imperialism.

2 Likes

how do you know that will happen 50 or 100 years from now?many african and muslim former french colonies are asserting their right to use their native language than french ,outside of the classrooms and in daily life

Me?

French, Spanish, Portuguese, Russian, Arabic and Mandarin - these are the languages that I want to speak!

no sorry i was responding to aydin _ and i hope it did not come off harsh i was just asking a question

He just seems like another motivated president that wants to shoot for the stars. I don’t think French will take over like it did during the Napolionic age, because France isn’t exactly playing in big leagues like what the U.S., Russia, and China are doing these days.

An idea of perhaps unified French speakers? I like the idea, it reminds me of how Russian is.