A great wish: Searching for conversation times by time slot

For me it is hard to find suitable conversation times.
It would be great if I could choose a language, a day and the time slot. Often I open the times for 5 or 6 English tutors with the result that none of them offers suitable times for me.

By the way, opening the box with the times lasts sometimes very long! Sometimes it is quick, other times ist is boring.

It would be nice if more tutors with american accent would offer English conversation in the afternoon and evening times (for Central Europe).

I agree with you Vera. We will try to figure out how to make this all work better.

How does that work? Are the times shown in the tutor’s time zone or are they displayed in my time zone?

All times are shown in your time zone assuming you have set your time zone correctly on the Settings page.

Thank-you, Mark.

i want to ask a question. my membership level is: free. may i join to a speaking conversation with a tutor? or is it a obligation being a basic/plus/premium member to do that?

Of course you can. You just need to buy points first which you can do as a Free member. However, paying members pay 50% less for points so you are probably better off to upgrade first and then buy points.

Furkan89, you can buy points. That’s what I do.

how many points shoul i buy… to make a conversation with a tutor. is there any table or chart for this.

Please go to Speak under Lessons and then click on the Help button in the top right hand corner. You will find the following page:

Watch a demo video of Speak

Speak FAQ

* How do I join Conversations?
* How much does a Conversation cost?
* What should I do if I can't find a suitable conversation time?
* How many people can join a Conversation?
* How long are Conversations?
* What is Skype and how do I use it?

How do I join Conversations?

Sign up for a Conversation that fits your schedule from the list of Available Conversations in the Speak section. Your tutor will phone you using Skype at the scheduled time. Make sure to have Skype open and to have a headset/microphone

How much does a Conversation cost?

Each 15 minute 1 on 1 conversation costs 500* points ($5). Each participant in a group conversation pays 500* points ($5). Group conversations can have a maximum of 4 learners with 1 tutor. The length of the conversation depends on the number of participants. eg. 3 participants = 45 minutes, 4 participants = 1 hour.

• includes 50% points discount for Basic, Plus and Premium Members

What should I do if I can’t find a suitable conversation time?

Our tutors try to cover as many different times and time zones as possible. In our more popular languages we have most times and time zones covered. We do have tutors from around the world so you should be able to find a time that works for you. If not, let us know which times you prefer in the Conversations Forum .

How many people can join a Conversation?

There are two types of conversations group conversations and 1 on 1 conversations. Group conversations have up to 4 learners with 1 tutor while 1 on 1 conversations are private lessons.

How long are conversations?

Group conversations can be anywhere from 15 minutes to 1 hour in length depending on the number of participants. ie. A 1 on 1 Conversation is 15 minutes; a 2 on 1 Conversation is 30 minutes; a 3 on 1 Conversation is 45 minutes etc. It is also possible to create extended 1 on 1 Conversations of up to an hour long or more.

What is Skype and how do I use it?

Skype is a free online telephone service. Download and install Skype on your computer in order to join conversations on LingQ. Once you have installed Skype, enter your Skype username on the Settings page. Your Skype username is the name you use to log in to Skype.

You should have Skype open at your scheduled conversation time and your tutor will call you. The first time you speak with a tutor, you will receive a request to add that tutor to your contact list. Make sure to accept this request or they will not be able to call you. If you are late for your conversation, call your tutor using the Skype name provided.

We do recommend using a headset/microphone during discussions. You will be better able to hear your tutor and the microphone will pick up your voice more clearly.

See more FAQ
Did you not find the answer you were looking for?

* Try posting your question on our Support Forum to get an answer fast.
* Email LingQ Support. During our business hours, M-F 8am – 6pm (Pacific Standard Time) we will normally respond within a few hours.

than u so much Steve