90Day "Chinese Challenge"

Well done! Challenges, quests and campaigns are the natural state of man. I’m going to rip through the 1000er by the 26th. And then I’ll try to get you shrinking in my rear mirror Julie! :pp

Thank you!

Only less than 100 words left for you, so it’s do-able:)~

If you haven’t done so already, try going through your vocab page under Due for Review option, (show 200 words), looking for words you didn’t realise you now know… That can be tiresome, so I switch it up by clicking on random page tabs, rather than going through in sequence.

Before you reach the 1,000 - eat my dust!:))~

Now I have my 1,000 words, I’m not in a hurry to get to 2,000. I want to enjoy the process better. Online flashcards don’t work for me, as I’ve said before.

So I might just relax and let exposure do most of the work in acquiring vocab, as seen in Steve’s video “How to memorize vocab”. Vocabulary - Is It Even Necessary To Memorize It? - YouTube Anyhow, these vids are especially good to re-watch when I don’t feel like doing much or need inspiration.

The toughest part for me right now is doing my last 6 hrs-ish listening to Chinese. I’ve pushed myself too hard this month (only because I did the bulk of the challenge in under a month, silly me). Only 3 or 4 days maybe left.

My hearing & pronunciation have really improved this month. The bulk of my listening has not been with advanced stuff - after all, I’m only Beginner 2… But if I listen to native speed, it’s no longer jibberish - my brain can pick out almost every word and tone, seemingly. I cannot instantaneously mentally translate what they’re saying in full sentences, though, except for what I can already articulate in Chinese. Yeh, yeh, someone will ask, why are you translating anyhow? :slight_smile:

Six hours is easy - yet it feels like 40 hours - so I must be burned out! Not gonna stop now though when I’m so close!

I noticed I’ve formed the habit of charging my mp3 player and adding audio files - so that’s a plus for future languages. If I follow my routine, I’ll probably knock off another 1 or 2 hours today doing chores etc.

我已经感冒一周了,但是到现在还没好。

So close to the target finish line! Decided to knock off the remaining audio target TODAY!

Okay, I’m DONE! I just fell across the proverbial 90-Day Chinese Challenge line…first time I finished anything!!! So true.

But DON’T do what I did - which was leaving it all to the last month. I should be celebrating right now, but I just burned myself out. It’s like my brain doesn’t want to take anything else in. My ears feel like they’re buzzing.

Okay, there was some good. I can hear tones better. I pronounce everything way better. I can psychologically imagine myself being fluent in the language some day - that it’s do-able.

Once I got over the difficult climb to reach the first 1,000 words, it felt like the next few hundred were a whole lot easier to know. I’m delighted with the amount of characters I can read.

But right now, I DON’T wanna listen to another word for the time being!. Haha! Zero, naught, nothing, zip! :).

I’ve supposedly 55 hrs left of French to go for the French challenge, having met all the other challenge targets. But just quietly…I don’t think I could stomach it, no offence.

It might make more sense to have a rest and start an entirely new language from scratch - for 30 days - at a leisurely pace…what a lovely thought! A “language holiday”. But only when I’m ready…

It took you until the 1st of november, shame on you

Don’t know what you mean…My Chinese challenge started July 31, & I met all my targets by Oct 25. Should be getting my “90 day” cap soon… (still waiting)

Edit: Oh, you mean it took Tommy until 1st Nov to get his 1,000… ^^

Congratulations!