500 days at LingQ and 4 million words later

I just reached my 500 days streak at Lingq. This momentum coincides with reaching 60000 know words in Russian and 4 million words read, which was my main goal to reach before March 1.
I started learning Russian in Februari 2021 without a clear need. After 6 months, I discovered LingQ. The first few months, I set myself the goal to read 3000 words/day which later on grew to 5000 and 7000 words/day. I didn’t care much about ‘known words’ or ‘learned LingQs’. Buit I guess I just needed some competitive strategy to hold on to and 50000 words a week seemed possible. I start and end my day with reading/listening and usually also spend some time on LingQ during the day. I mainly import videos with subtitles, and magazine articles (for reading in bed without audio).

Outside LingQ
Next to LingQ, I follow the main language YT-channels, I listen to podcasts and I have video meetings 2-3 times/week to practice speaking with native Russian speakers. I don’t consdider myself a fluent speaker, but I can communicate freely in Russian. That said, I make many mistakes during speaking, mainly because my grammar is weak. I know the main rules, but I still do a lot of guessing to word endings (I just don’t like grammar exercises and forget easily). So I guess my level is about A2 (grammar) | B1 (speaking) | B2 (reading/listening).

I change my learning method and focus about every 4 months to keep the journey interesting and to get out of my comfort zone. LingQ is my main continuity. I read articles on everyday subjects or topics I find interesting. I am still not able to read novels, but I know some poems and songs by heart. The main problem with books is that after 5 pages I already stumbled on too much unknown words to continue reading with pleasure. Up to now I prefer interviews, lectures and webinars on interesting topics.

Next step
I never thought I could reach my current level. I started during Covid quarantine and expected to quit within 4 months because of a lack of time and discipline. But I liked the learning process very much and LingQ helped me to make it a daily routine. My main current LingQ problem is to find interesting resources on my exact level. My favourite ‘new words’-rate for lessons is 5-10% but this is hard to find. ! spent (too) much time to find interesting videos with Russian subtitles (proper Russian subtitling is very rare). Now that I reached my latest goal, I feel the need to set a new one. I still enjoy learning Russian, but I am not sure how to proceed and what role LingQ could have in this. Therefore, suggestions also are very much being appreciated.

30 Likes

Impressive! And congratulations on your dicipline! I’m not sure, if you like it, but I found Wikipedia to be an great way to read texts about stuff you are interested in. The texts are no novels, but when you are interested in a certain topic, you enjoy learning the new words.
I found that method by accident when I stumbled about the name of a famous museum in a Portuguese text. And from there I followed the thread to a particular period of art, several artists, and ended up at an article about a chateau in France…

With almost 1.9 million articles you are sure to find something…
Whether it is about something Russian :wink:

4 Likes

or something about your own culture

1 Like

… or a particular book…

2 Likes

…or something from work you know by heart in your own language…

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, Wikipedia could also be interesting. I will try it.

Yes, try to make it a daily habit and enjoy the ride. Good luck!

2 Likes

Great work! Have you tried intermediate podcasts with transcripts? For my Polish learning they are pure gold, since I get listening and reading in an overly interesting and comprehensible package. I’m sure there will be something like this also for Russian.
I do some other stuff but basically I import the transcripts with the corresponding audio. Then I first just listen, maybe twice and if I don’t read the printed transcript first (to get used to reading without aid) I go directly into LingQ. The great thing is that I can go through the podcast in sentence mode and also listen to the audio.

2 Likes

If you do want to do Маленький принц, this version of the audio book spoken by Алексей Борзунов (available on Audible) is incredible.

Thanks for the tip and sharing your experience! I just recently found a site with podcasts with transcripts. I will have look to find some more.

Juliani, I’m also learning Polish using LingQ. In fact I have learned Polish some 40 years ago, and now that I’m retired, I want to study it again as I have forgotten a lot. LingQ is great!
Could you please give more information on where you find your resources (podcasts or other) for Polish? Thanks a lot!

1 Like

I posted a private message on your profile page.

1 Like

Gefeliciteerd Frits!
My goals are quite similar to yours and I actually hope to start reading novels somewhere this year.
Have you watched any Russian tv-shows or movies? On Netflix, unfortunately, there is not much to choose from, but there has to be some quality content out there.

Thanks Julian, I received your message, but could not comment there, so I do it here. I will look into your suggestions! Best regards. Erik.

Спасибо Sjors,
Yes, I firstly watched various Soviet comedy movies and later on the series Кухня and Слуга народа (with Zelensky).
If you like, we could have a video meeting to exchange experiences?