30+ days of LingQ

I’ve been actively using LingQ for maybe 40 days now. I intend on doing a proper assessment come 90 days but have been recently thinking about my progress.

I signed up last year actually but only got a few days in before leaving for a lengthy holiday during which I did no study. So the usage count excludes the weeks on holiday.

To be fair I came into LingQ with a bunch of prior knowledge of Korean. I had tried to study it in years before using other methods (textbooks, Rosetta Stone) but none actually got me to being able to really understand even the most basic of sentences before I gave up.

So I’ll self assess my status prior to LingQ as:
Able to understand “There is a house” kind of sentences if read (but stumbling on most conjugations)
Able to understand those kinds of sentences if spoken, but only if given thinking time afterward.
Passive vocabulary of 500+ words (being concepts, not grammatical variations on the word)

My current LingQ status:
17000+ words read (many articles read repeatedly)
4000+ LingQs
~28 hours listening
minimal writing/speaking

I am not studying grammar but I look things up on the internet as I encounter them in texts. I keep a ‘cheat sheet’ on which I can reference the grammatical patterns easily - it kind of sums up the grammar I have encountered until now.

LingQ has a fair deficit of good material in the Beginner 2 range which is ideally what I’d like to consume, but I have simply moved on to Intermediate texts from a variety of sources.

Some examples of things I can now understand:
“Study is a good thing, so I take private lessons after school” - If read slowly a couple of times.
“In the evening I will go running” - If spoken I can almost make sense of it as it is being spoken, and I am familiar with the speaker (being I’ve heard that speaker’s voice in previous sound clips)

My ability really comes and goes though. There are days when things seem to be falling into place and then others wherein anything I listen to sounds like a jumble of unintelligible syllables.

So I have clearly progressed, and my vocabulary is improving too. However the rate of improvement is quite slow. Setting goals which are too far out is of little use so I am really wondering now what kind of practical goal I might set.

I had a goal of being able to follow along with some of the conversation when I am around my in-laws on my next visit to Korea (possibly later this year). However that seems better suited as a goal for next year. I might have to set a goal for this year as being able to ask for and listen for directions, locations and that sort of thing.

Korean is a beast of a language! I had no real appreciation of how much so until this latest effort at really digging into the grammar/vocab/speech patterns.

On LingQ:

So far my impressions are fairly positive. It is 70% of the tool I hoped it would be and has expedited my consumption of material in Korean with marked effect.

It has driven me to read and listen to way more material than I would have if I were not using it. Maybe it’s just that I like seeing numbers going up on the stats page. Im a simple man.

:slight_smile:

7 Likes

I have to admit that Korean is tough and tough on LingQ. Dictionary meanings are often irrelevant. You’re reading in a different alphabet. For some reason certain structures take a long time to click in. However, stay with it. i am finally starting to feel more comfortable. It is a longer road, but when I meet Koreans and see how welcoming they are when I speak their language it is all worth.

Thanks Steve.

Dictionary meanings are often irrelevant, yes. Even Google Translate gets the simplest of sentences horribly wrong. I know you’ve been through a lot more of it than I have. So it’s good to hear that you’ve made some inroads into understanding the language by going about it primarily through LingQ.

I think I somewhat understated LingQs role when I wrote my post. I intend on giving the full 90 days before I post (probably on blog or vlog or other) about language learning this time around.

So I’ll just add this for clarification: while LingQ is (in my view) really a tool for expediting some of the process involved in consuming large volumes of input in the target language, it has turned out to be a significant motivator for me and I can honestly say that I would not have put in half as much effort if it were not for LingQ.

I don’t recall how much you’re charging for it… I think $10 a month or something (I signed up for 6 months as a ‘trial’ last year). Anyhow none of my previous expenditures on learning Korean have given me as much return as LingQ. A very close second would be TalkToMeInKorean who have done an amazing job with their content.

~