1,000,000 Words read = speaking well?

Thanks man lol. I edited cuz I thought it was a nosy question haha Thanks again!

1 Like

Communicating, yes. On what level…I don’t know.

I think it comes down to too many factors. Example…I could be one that started speaking from the very beginning. However, I spent most of that time saying very basic things, because I was at such a low level, I haven’t spent much time getting my reading and passive vocabulary up (which could have a knock on effect on active vocabulary to some degree). Or maybe, I didn’t speak at all until I read 2,000,000 words. I might be able to say some things as soon as I start speaking, just by virtue of seeing many words over and over again. I can probably advance a lot quicker during those 36 hours and be at a higher level because I have a better underlying knowledge.

Don’t take what I say above as endorsing one idea over the other…I also may not even be correct in my assumptions =). I just want to illustrated how 36 hours does not equal a specific level of proficiency depending on various factors.

36 hours really isn’t a lot of time either when you think about it. How useful those 36 hours really depends on how you use it, what your present knowledge already is, etc. Also, just because you’ve spoken for 36 hours doesn’t mean you could handle an actual conversation. You might be able to speak about all kinds of things and with perfect pronunciation…but if you don’t understand what someone says back to you, then you’re not going to have much of a conversation. (I’m also not implying that it takes 36 hours to get to a high level of speaking…it takes A LOT more than that).

I like noxialisrex’s idea. Set a goal, get to it, reassess and set a new goal if you aren’t yet where you want to be at. Language learning takes a lot longer than people think and it’s not always as simple as getting to a particular # in a category. Enjoy the process of learning and becoming familiar with another culture.

5 Likes

Great point man. I think I’m just trying to get an idea of what I’m getting in to.

3 Likes

@SEBB91 It’s tougher than I thought too.

I had hoped Comprehensible Input was the Magic Bullet. CI is great, compared to the usual drill-and-kill, but I now think in terms of 1000s of hours.

As I said elsewhere, I compare learning a language to playing a musical instrument.

Sure, you can play some scales and a few pet pieces in not too long a time, but if you’re going to sit in with other players, you’ve got to pay some dues.

5 Likes

1,000,000 Words read = speaking well?

Definitely not. You wanna speak well? Do lots of listening (1,000+ hours) and then practise speaking a lot (book a few hundred iTalki lessons for conversation partners).

6 Likes

Out of topic, from what I saw on the printscreeen you’ve been learning portuguese, right? May I know why you are Learning this language in specific? Just curious since i’m brazilian and its not that common ppl wanting to learn our language lol.

At the moment i’m learning Spanish, even though it’s similar, it’s a whole new language. I thought i’ll kill it with just a few days, but from what i’ve been seen it’ll take me months lol. But enjoying it a lot until now!!

3 Likes

Yeah I think I’m getting better tge more languages I learn but I think I started to think that better could mean overnight lol. At least subconsciously.

1 Like

Yeah sounds like a solid plan. Maby I’ll do this.

1 Like

I am learning so I can take my family to Brazil. My son is Deaf so my whole family learned ASL to speak with him and then I learned spanish and found a passion for languages in general.
I also love the waxes…jk

2 Likes

Yeah I’m hoping so. I love the idea of creating a well rounded path for learning a language that fits me personally. Younknow what I mean? I have a feeling it might be just a little different for each one tbough. Like Japanese might need me to navigate differently when i learn it.

1 Like

My experience with Ukrainian as a french person around 1M words I was abble to hold a basic conversation or to react on something that is being said with Ukrainian friends. Strongest limitation is still vocabulary. Listening is OK. Grammar by itself is not a limitation.

2 Likes

I have about one million words listened to in French, much of it outside LingQ. I have good comprehension of spoken French but my speech is at a much lower level. The problem is that I don’t have quick recall of appropriate words and I have to think and hence pause a lot. Something the French don’t have is patience in my experience. Active and passive language skills are distinct. Active skills develop much more slowly. It is possible to understand something without knowing all of the details, and not be able to reproduce it oneself. I believe one has to practice output as well as read/listen.

So no, having a high number of words read does not in itself correlate to a high level of spoken language.

5 Likes

Comprehensible Input = reading and listening at your level

3 Likes