1000 Hours of Listening - Progress?

Over the last 2 years I listened to 5500 hours of Dutch last year. Mostly I just did other things while doing it. My level is a low-mid intermediate now. I did some study but I typically don’t like it unless I find nice texts and can work through the grammar after I’ve worked out all the words. I recently move to reading Dutch mostly and have read over 6500 pages since April. I’m slowly building my vocabulary that way and things are working well. I’m about to start reviewing very basic stuff to fill in all the gaps I missed in my rush. :smiley:

I’ve recently decided to study Yiddish and Hebrew, and that’s going slower but still nicely.

119h Yiddish
36h Hebrew

I need to bump this up a notch. I’ll try to get at least 1000 hours for each by the end of the year.

I’m sorry but I’m going to have to ask the question if no one else is going to do it.

5500 divided by 365 days = 15.06 (hours per day).

Really? How? Do you sleep or work? Or did you mean 5500 hours over two years?

Even if this was over a two-year period, 7.5 hours a day is a lot!

Yes over 2 years. I must say that I’ve slowed right down in the last 3 or 4 months and didn’t really get a good pace going for the first few either. I was doing between 8 and 11 hours for a while there.

I don’t work but I do sleep (most of the time haha).

Yvette, I do the same thing when talking to my family (keeping one head-phone in) ^^ Guess you just gotta do whatcha gotta do!

So how did everyone go with the 1,000 hours of listening challenge?

Here are my totals:

Spanish: 572.7
French: 323.5
Geman: 15.8
Finnish: 14.3

Total: 926.3

Although I did make a lot of progress (particularly with my Spanish) I don’t think I would take on such a challenge again, at least not if I’m working full-time. I basically listened whenever I could: on the bus/tram, while walking, while shopping and sometimes even while working. This year, I think I will focus more on reading (at least in French and Spanish), and try to make my listening a bit more enjoyable (i.e. listen when I feel like listening, so that I will hopefully pay more attention).

Well, I haven’t really been keeping any grand total, but I’ve got some daily and, recently, weekly totals. I’d have to add them up to get an idea. This year has been a fairly lazy one for me, in terms of language learning and with a several language changes, I doubt I’ve done particularly well. But, I’ll see if I can add them up…will edit later.

572, 7 hours? Now I know why I am far behind the level given by Lingq in Spanish. Up to now, I’ve only accumalated 63,1 hours of listening (the listening time apart from Lingq isn’t included, though). I definitely have to do more exercises.

Happy new year!!!

I manually add in my listening hours (away from LingQ). For me, it makes it a bit more fun and it keeps me on the right track. If I don’t know roughly how much I’ve been listening, I’m less likely to appreciate the difference between 100 hours and 500 hours of listening. (but I don’t include TV or movies in my statistics).

Definitely I achived my goal

English - 1012 hours.

every time I had the opportunity was listening my MP3 player , I listened Steve and Mark podcast’s several times and definitely I’m happy because I learned english and now I have others goals this year.

1000 hours - listening German
500 hours - listening Italian.

|/ @@@@@Happy new year@@@@@ |/

According to my spreadsheet, German got the gold medal with 85 hours, but if I had counted every single minute of English, including movies (counting a 90 minutes long movie as 90 minutes of language…), I’m pretty sure that I’d have my 1000 hours.

2011 was a lazy year.

How do we track hours of listening (to external sources) in the LingQ system? Is there a simple way to do that?

You can just click the + button next to the “Hours of Listening” on your Profile, and add it in there.

If you really like keeping track of them (like I do) it’s not that hard to do as you can update it whenever you finish listening to something (assuming you have a phone with internet).

Thank you!