100 days

Today is exactly 100 days ofDonald Trump as the 45th President of the United States and of Mike Pence as the 48th Vice President of the United States of America. For me there’s been 100 days of almost utter American English immersion.
Folks, I’ve been consuming all sorts of media format about the Trump’s presidency, and I made this intensively, many hours a day, each every single day of these 100 days.
I can’t real say if my English has improved but I don’t care. What I know is that it seems as I enjoy what I do; otherwise it would be unbelievable how one could sit and watch YouTube video after video, several hours in row, listening to different podcasts several hours without interest.
The bulk of my immersion however has been listening, but I’ve been reading as well. During these 100 days I have read a great book, OUR REVOLUTION A FITURE TO BELIEVE IN, by Bernie Sanders. I finished reading it right this morning, this very day April 29th. As you see one book for 100 days can’t be a great achievement, but as I said it is a great book. I learned a lot from it and I now can follow what’s going on with some knowledge.
These first 100 days with Trump in the WH have captured my English learning almost 100%, and this is very good indeed.
What next?
Well, I hope the other next 100 days to be equally compelling, with the same intensity and suspense! And to better deal with this new period, I have a book which I’m going to read (I’ve already started reading it today), and the name of the book is, THE TRAGEDY OF GREAT POWER POLITICS, BY John J. Mearsheimer.
This period (of 100 days) has been and will remain to me, the alternative to Linqg’s 90 Day Challenge. I maybe will end up with a PhD in English after 4 years!

Feel free to correct my mistakes – and The Heaven will reward you.

Make the world interesting again!

I found The Tragedy of Great Power Politics to be a very interesting although poorly written book. It’s just so dry. Joseph Nye is a way better writer (from the Liberalism school of international relations) in my opinion. Both are equally great scholars though.

edit: I had written Bill Nye lol

" What I know is that it seems as I enjoy what I do; otherwise it would be unbelievable how one could sit and watch YouTube video after video, several hours in row, listening to different podcasts several hours without interest. "

i agree if you feel that is helping you continue. to many people continue listening to things they have no interest in in hope of improving their comprension i admit i did that very early on and i learned nothing

"I maybe will end up with a PhD in English after 4 years!:

Unfortunately, that will not be a tuition free doctorate from the United States as Bernie did not make it to the white house.

My companion and I were Bernie supporters and donors. As Americans and political junkies, we have not read ‘Our Revolution, A Future to Believe In.’ It’s kind of hard to understand, and yet beautiful, how residents of other countries are often better read and have a better understanding of American culture and affairs than ourselves. But we see it time and again.

I think we do live in a bit of a bubble here with the fish unaware of the water.

That is fine to hear that the book is very interesting. I happened to listen to his lectures on You Tube and decided to purchase the book. No worries thoug, the next book for the third period (from 200th day to 300th day) will be, I presume, very well written. I already payed it and the title is Requiem for the American Dream: The 10 Principles of Concentration of Wealth & Power. You can guess the author.

Congrats Etudiant, I also got fascinated by what is happening in USA, I watched many primary republican debates, if not all of them, besides, Donald Trump’s language or use of the English language is very appealing, his choice of words is a true gift for us non-native speakers of English. I learned a lot from him, he’s a skillful communicator I always kept my focus beyond the political aspect of things and as a result, I improved my communication skills not just in English, but In general. Being an open-minded person will take you far away from the average person who insists in divide the world between good and evil.

Of course this story of PhD was a joke.

Bernie has a great admiration on this part of the World I live in, and that was nice to read about it from his book.

If you’ve not read the book, then you have to.

This is how the book ended: To all those who helped, in whatever capacity, I say THANK YOU.Together we have made a difference in our country. Together we will carry on.

He is proud of you guys, read the book and find out!

It’s kind of frustrating: I’m trying to learn through the news in other languages… but all any country’s news wants to talk about is Trump and American news. I want to learn other languages to get away from Trump!

1 Like

Come on, @usablefiber! You’are absolutely right, However If you look carefully you’ll find plenty of other stuff to learn from. In order to help you, listen to this podcast below, just from the bigining, the two first minutes, from 01:04 to 01:08.

http://podbay.fm/show/418152882/e/1492974734?autostart=1